Saturday, January 22, 2022

Finishing off some builds

As the pandemic wore on and my motivation waned, three unfinished rockets - a Boyce Aerospace Redstone missile, a Skylance from an Estes rocket plan and a Glencoe Jupiter-C plastic model conversion - caught my eye every time I looked at my workbench. Things got to the point where I couldn’t stand it anymore and resolved to finish them. First up was the Boyce Redstone - I had already spent beaucoup hours sanding the 3D printed parts smooth, so it was a simple matter of glueing them together and applying primer and paint. The former was quickly done, but I had no olive drab paint, so I had to order some. While waiting for it to arrive, I primed the Redstone with Krylon gray and white primers. Then came gloss white followed by the olive drab, which went on nicely (I really like Tamiya paints, even if they are a bit pricey). For markings, I used Stickershock vinyl decals made for this model; however, after application, it was obvious they are a bit on the large side when compared to photos of the actual missile. No matter - it’s a semi-scale model, after all.

Boyce Redstone compared to the Estes Mercury Redstone 
(Click to enlarge).

Next was the Glencoe Jupiter-C. One of the easiest plastic models to convert to flight, it was built following Harry Stine’s article in the November, 1969 issue of Model Rocketry. The decals were provided in the kit and I used the wonderful Tamiya tape to mask off the roll patterns - worked great! 

Glencoe Jupiter-C on the pad (Click to enlarge).

Both these models have scale fins - the Estes Mercury Redstone fins are way over sized, as you can see from the picture - and so required a lot of nose weight. The Boyce Redstone required so much that I am a bit afraid to fly it, fearing that the 3D printed base of the nose cone may not take the stress of ejection. Don’t want heavy things falling out of the sky, but I suppose I will have to risk it soon, as my models do not just sit on a shelf. I flew the Jupiter-C back in December, powered by an Estes B6-2. It flew straight as an arrow, but the Estes plastic chute did not open, resulting in a hard landing that broke Explorer 1. It is now sitting on the workbench awaiting repair.

The Jupiter-C lifts off (Click to enlarge).

And the Skylance? I put it in a corner so I would not have to look at it. Hopefully, I’ll finish it soon - it deserves that much.


3 comments:

  1. I missed this update. I currently have an Estes Jupiter-C that I bought on a late night eBay Buy It Now back in 2001. I'm determined to finish and fly it this year. I got as far as shaping the fins and prepping the body tube, so all that is left is attaching everything and painting. I found the satellite parts last week, so everything is properly gathered and awaiting my masterful touch, so to speak. This one won't be starved for power. I put a D mount in it a long time ago. I just can't leave well enough alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got one of those in the stash somewhere, but figured I'd start with the plastic model conversion first. It's something I always wanted to do. I will probably tackle building that kit sometime in the near future, as it is the same scale as the Mercury Redstone and Redstone missile already in my fleet.

      I don't know if I will go with the 24mm mount though - too much nose weight needed. We have 18mm Q-jet D motors now, which kinda reduces the need to make the modification.

      Delete