|The Centuri Screaming Eagle's first appearance in the 1973 catalog. I recently|
acquired a Powr Pad from Ebay; can't wait to launch my Eagle from it!
A couple of hours soaking in warm water got rid of the decomposing decals still on the fin can. However, nothing I tried could remove the old, rock-hard glue at the top of the unit. This put the kibosh on using the fin can in my clone; hopefully someone can provide a technique that will remove the glue for a future build. During a break to watch some 1950's science fiction B movies ("At World's End", "From the Earth to the Moon"), I realized that it would not be too difficult to clone the fin can using Semroc tubes and 1/16" basswood for the fins. The fin pattern was available on Jimz's web site, though I could have easily created one by simply measuring the dimensions of those on my unit. I set to work, assembling the motor mount and cutting out the fins. The pic below shows where things stand at present - I am about to glue on the fins while I watch "Munster Go Home" on Svengoolie.
|Old Screaming Eagle fin can at right; basswood fins and lower tube/motor mount to its|
left. Hen Grenade nose cone and payload section parts are in the background.